Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Beginning

And so the "Bradley GT Experience" begins. I've decided to buy a Bradley GT and see what I can do with it.

A little bit on the Bradley GT. It is a kit car made by Bradley Automotive, in the 70s, for the Volkswagen Beetle. They made this model, the first, a second model, the Bradley GT2, a single wheeled trailer, and a fiberglass boat. To read more on the Bradley GT and other items listed here click here.

The reason I chose a Bradley GT as my project car, named Ol' Brad for obvious reasons, is because its a rare sight and I really like the sporty style of it. These cars are almost impossible to find in more than crap condition and so I want to add one to the world that is in great condition.

I started my search when my friend Hunter brought me to this spot in West Monroe where a yellow Bradley GT is sitting. We both found it a rather strange vehicle and one we had never seen before. After doing some research and figuring out what it was we tried to get into contact with the owner because it had been sitting there for quite some time and we were hoping they would sell. After finding that search was more of a goose chase I decided to look online. It took a lot of effort and time but I finally found one, that should be running when I buy it. The pictures are here.
That link takes you to a photobucket album of pics and vids of the guy I'm buying the car from putting it together basically.

Anyways, I have a few plans for this including doors and a back window to start. If you noticed there are no doors or back window for this car. I did find someone who makes them so its only a matter of money. Now, I did notice another mandatory modification that will have to be made is AC. This will be the big problem I'm going to have with this car because it is summer and as you may know, summers in Louisiana are a bit on the unbearable side. So to ring myself up a tab, I will have the car for about 1500(I'm waiting on him to get it running before I pick it up, I will be paying for parts he uses to get it there), the other necessary things I've listed bring that up to about 2600.

Now on to other fun things I'd like to do. I really want to paint the car black and have the logo's on the sides and back painted red. I'm also going to add some black and red seats I found. I'd like the rims to be black after I paint the car so I will handle that accordingly later on in the process. I plan to get a cheap audio system, just something I can have to listen to music when I want, because music is the second biggest passion of mine next to cars. Some other small things like the front window tint, black and red floor mats, a tune up, and interior red neons will have this car pretty much finished for me. I do not know how much all of this will end up costing me but I imagine this will take some time to complete. Thus I created a blog for the record keeping of this car and my adventures with it.

The next post will be an account of the trip to Oklahoma to pick up this car and will include pictures. So stay tuned and let me know if you have any questions about this endeavor.

Peace,
Harlow

No comments:

Post a Comment